This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit committed to strengthening community through
youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Lifeguards maintain safe swimming conditions in
the pool, deck, and surrounding areas. Create a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all
individuals and promotes safety in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures. S/He also builds positive
relationships with members and program participants through effective listening and verbal skills and
creatively finds ways to connect them to one another and the Y community.
- Minimum age of 15.
- Current YMCA Lifeguard or equivalent and BLS, first aid, and emergency oxygen administration and
maintain while employed.
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
- Ability to work independently with attention to detail required
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- Recreational environment; aquatics facility. While performing the essential functions of this job,
the employee is regularly required to sit, speak clearly, hear and use hands and fingers.
- The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, reach with hands or arms, stoop, kneel, crouch
and/or move a maximum of 25 lbs.
- Intermittent use of pool to instruct participants.
Summer Camp Counselor:
This position will provide direct supervision of a group of children in a seasonal day camp. Provides a quality
experience to children and focused on YMCA core values: honesty, respect, responsibility, and caring.
- Ability to relate effectively to diverse groups of people from all social and economic segments of the
- Must be at least 15 years old
- Previous experience working with children
- Experience preferred in one or more of the following areas: outdoor living, archery, boating, camping,
songs/music, skits, sports, aquatics, recreational games, etc.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications, and YMCA Child Abuse Prevention training must be completed within
30 days of hire date.
- Leads and supervises a group of children in day camp setting.
- Plans and implements program activities that are culturally relevant, developmentally appropriate and
consistent with YMCA values.
- Adheres to program standards including safety and cleanliness standards.
- Attends staff meetings and trainings.
- Follows YMCA policies and procedures, including those related to record keeping, medical and
disciplinary situations, child abuse prevention and emergencies.
- Maintains positive relations with parents and other staff